The most important thing is to choose the right subject for you. Ask yourself some questions:
- What subject do I most enjoy?
- Could I talk about that subject for a minute?
- Do I have a real habit of intellectual curiosity?
- Would I like to study that subject for at least three years?
- Do I read widely relating to that subject?
- Can I write a personal statement that provides evidence of my enthusiasm for that subject?
- When the going gets tough will my enjoyment of the subject sustain me?
- If invited for interview will I be able to demonstrate that I love that subject almost as much as the subject tutor interviewing me?
Find out as much as possible about your chosen subject by looking in the university web site and prospectus for Oxford and Cambridge; going to open days; apply for a study day, attend a Masterclass, try a taster event Watch any videos provided by the university relating to your subject. Here’s one for starters: Here’s another: